12 June 2012

The Samaritan (2012, David Weaver / Weaver & Elan Mastai)

I was going to say I'd watch anything that had Samuel L Motherfucking Jackson in it until I remembered I haven't seen Black Snake Moan yet.  Or Snakes on a Plane.  To be honest, neither of them really pique me.  Well, Christina Ricci in Moan kind of does something for me.

Moving on.

Propelled by an approving Roger Ebert review, I got this one and was... mildly entertained.  Feels a lot like a first-time director with it's expository dialogue and not-quite-lingering-but-more-padding shots - but director Weaver's been doing it since 1993.

It was nice to see Jackson underplaying a character with none of his eye-balling and shouting.  Don't care for the location or for the other actors.  Tom Wilkinson's presence feels a lot like an Alec Guiness cameo in Mute Witness.  It's reasonably tight and entertaining.

Recommended for noir fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment