13 June 2011

City Island (Raymond De Felitta, 2009)

As far as I'm concerned, Andy Garcia's career height was "The
Untouchables". I'm sure he's got talent aplenty, what with "When a Man
Loves a Woman", "Jennifer Eight" and "The Godfather III", films that I
know I have seen but have no actual recollection of. Yes, I know each
film's story, but only because I remember the blurb on the VHS/DVD case.

So last night, when it was a toss up between "The Social Network" and
"City Island", I went indy, and I was pleasantly... it was a pleasant
way to while away an evening. Julianna Margulies was a pleasant
surprise. The morbidly obese women were a pleasant fuck-you to our
usual fare of stick figure screen women. And Mr Garcia was a pleasant
lead, in a thoroughly pleasant film, yes, a little mawkish - twee, even,
although this is a yankee indy - so in the event you're looking for
something undemanding, yet with some nice little twists on your
expectations, try "City Island".

No comments:

Post a Comment